How to Reach
In order to reach NIT Sikkim, It is required to reach Siliguri first. There are two ways to reach Siliguri:
- By Air: The Airport nearest to Siliguri is Bagdogra (IATA Code: IXB) which is at a distance of about 17kms from Siliguri.
- By Rail: You can reach Siliguri via New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (Code: NJP) as well which is at a distance of about 4kms from Siliguri.
From airport/railway station one has to reach SNT Bus Stand near Siliguri Junction. At the Bus Stand there are various transportation facilities available such as:
- Private/shared taxi to reach Ravangla via Singtam or Namchi.
- Government Bus to reach Ravangla departs at 1:00pm from SNT Bus Stand.
NIT Sikkim is located 2kms away from Ravangla which is a tourist town situated in South Sikkim district of Sikkim, India.
It is connected by a state highway to other major towns in the state and lies between Pelling and Gangtok.
You can find your way to the campus using the following link to Google maps: goo.gl/7oXbGM
The accommodation for the recruiters at Ravangla will be arranged by the institute itself. For information related to transportation and accommodation, please contact
KHANDAPU SNEHITH (+91 8942966911).
Ravangla or Ravongla is a small picturesque town situated in the lap of Himalayas. Moist and salty, a chilly breeze blows in across the swells, bringing with it the cold air making people pull their jackets a little closer. It is a town of peaceful people consisting mainly of shop owners and businessmen. Crowded with people of different cultures and ethnicity, the city thrives mainly through different festivals like Pang Lhabsol, Tourist Festivals and the frequent visits from tourists all around the world. Peace and tranquility comes with the fact that people here believes in the phrase 'Athiti Devo Bhava'.
Surrounded by the undisturbed view of the majestic Himalayas ( Mount Kanchenjunga, Mount Pandim, Mount Sinialchu, Mount Kabru ), Ravangla, is situated at an elevation of 7000ft. It is in fact one of the very few places in the country which provides the undisturbed view of these mountain peaks. It also serves as a basis for moderate trekking to Meynam (3200m) and Tendong (2575m). Trekking to Meynam offers a splendid and exquisite view of Mount Narsing (5825m).
There are various places to visit in Ravangla as it is surrounded by some of the most prominent tourists' spots in the country. Monasteries, trekking spots, sulphur springs (hot springs), lakes, mountains, waterfalls, tea gardens, souvenir centers and many more constitutes in this place, making it one of the most visited tourist destination in the country.
- Tatagatha Tsal (Buddha Park): Situated 2kms from the main city of Ravangla, this particular place is the most admired and cherished park cum monastery. This park is known for the majestic statue of Buddha and the calm environment surrounding it. Inside the statue there is a collection of various Buddhist artifacts and antiques. It is also believed that there are some of the ashes from the remains of Lord Buddha imported all the way from Thailand.
- Borong and Ralang cha chu: These are the traditional winter spas. Tourists from all over the country and from Bhutan and Nepal come here every year to spend few days soaking in the water as it attributes healing effects.
- Doling Monastery: Situated among the cardamom plantations this monastery is one of the oldest monasteries of Sikkim making it one of the most historical places of the state.
- Khangdosangpu and Sharchog Bephug (Caves): Two holy caves where Guru Padmasambhava, meditated on his journey to Tibet.
- Temi Tea Garden: One of the most beautifully situated tea gardens in the state, the journey on the windy road through Dentham is spectacular.
There are many places nearby Ravangla worth visiting like:
- Char Dham
- Ralong Monasteries
- Tinkitam Village (known for the rare species of Orchid called Lady's Slipper)
Ravangla is a small place which celebrates every form of celebration. People come here not just for the amazing views and spectacular lakes but they come here to witness peace and tranquility go hand in hand with each other which makes it stand out from the normal tourist destination.
Resting in the lap of Himalayas and surrounded by the chilly breeze of the North Sikkim is indeed the Singapore of India.
© 2018 Training and Placement Cell, NIT Sikkim